5.21.2015

The Ten Commandments (Overture) - Elmer Bernstein

The Ten Commandments (Overture) (1956) - Elmer Bernstein

As previously mentioned, the number of examples of non-ironically enjoyed music in my collection is minimal.  I pretty much stick to oddities, though here's an exception worth mentioning. In fact, I just bought this last weekend at Value Village and was pretty stoked to have found it. I'm a straight-up atheist and most people I know wouldn't think I'd be into Chuck Heston Bible movies. They would be wrong.  I love these old-school grand epics, and in this case primarily for the score.  Of course, seeing both Vincent Price and Edward G Robinson not only together on screen, but in a Bible story is just plain weird if you think about it.

Elmer Bernstein is a pretty interesting dude..  Amazingly, he's no relation at all to Leonard Bernstein, despite not only being contemporaries, but having more than a passing familial resemblance. What makes Elmer so particularly interesting as a film composer is the range of his work.  We're talking about a guy who did (among other classics) The Ten Commandments in full-on golden-era-style lush orchestration, and then 30-odd years later did music for Animal House, Ghostbusters, and even the incidental music in Michael Jackson's Thriller video.  I was pretty stunned when I first heard this, figuring that stylistically, never the twain shall meet.

Anyway, I haven't much to say about Bernstein other than to direct you to his Wiki.

Man, I *LOVE* this scoring work.

No comments:

Post a Comment