1.03.2010

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas


Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night (1952) - Dylan Thomas

What is so great about this recording of the famed poet reciting his own material is that it reminds me of an obsession I acquired studying composition in University.  I became fascinated with finding musical phrase patterns in natural speech and transcribing them.  Steve Reich explored this quite a bit and I caught the bug as well.  Dylan Thomas however, seems much more obvious in the way he recites.  It doesn't take much listening to hear natural musical phrasing and cadences all over the place.

This album was recorded a year before his death.

**Addendum**

I finally did a piano sketch of the tonality and cadences of Thomas' voice that I hear.
You can listen here.  Try listening to it a couple times then go back and listen to the original..




No comments:

Post a Comment